Thursday, January 30, 2014

Fire Station Field Trip:  

Cie-J and I have officially made the choice to educate Alanna at home.  We are very excited about it.  Yes, we will be a home schooling family.  No, our child will not suffer for it. =)  Here's the proof...
Myth #1. She won't be socialized!
One of my good friends here in Las Vegas and I have started a home school group that is strictly for socialization.  Field trips, park days, crafts, etc.  We have been meeting for a month and already have many many members.  We meet at least once a week.  See...socialized!  Truth be told, Alanna might be overly socialized because I am an extrovert and take her to every gathering I go to. HA!
(Notice how Alanna is posing for this picture.  It cracks me up!!)

 Myth #2 - Home schoolers lack real world experience.
We went to a fire station and the kids learned about calling 911 in an emergency and how to Stop, Drop, and Roll.  They got to see how a fireman dresses before he goes into a fire and how his mask gives him oxygen so he can breath.  This is as real as it gets.
 This picture is just for fun.  Alanna said her favorite part of the whole trip was sitting in the drivers seat and holding the steering wheel.

 Myth #3 - Where will she learn the things she would learn in public school?
Here you can see that Alanna was patiently waiting her turn to get on the fire truck. =)

Myth #4 - Parents are not qualified to teach difficult subjects.
You would be absolutely correct, however, we are only starting kindergarten and I know I can handle that one.  In fact, I think I'll be good to teach until high school.  We will reevaluate at that point and see where Alanna is academically and decide then if she needs a tutor, computer courses, community college classes, etc.  We are very excited to start our home schooling journey and I can't wait to blog about all the fun things we will be doing.  At home.  In our pajamas!  LOL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment